Going through my backup mails, I found these interesting rules I had set. 5 years back, I was onsite at client location and these were the ‘ground rules’ I had set up for my offshore team at the start of a project.
I think they are still relevant.
- No weekend work. No late nights. Not even late evenings.
- Work smart, not hard.
- The end result counts, not the hours that you put in.
- Late work is just an illusion of being more productive. Don’t fall for it.
- EOD for any deliverable/commits = 7 PM.
- Anything delivered/committed after 7 PM will be considered next day’s deliverables and responded accordingly.
- Leave office when you are done. It does not matter how long your superior stays in office.
- Do not slog because of wrong estimates.
- If you believe the estimates are wrong and it is impossible to do it in allotted time, let me know. We will together work on correcting it.
- The above rules apply to Onsite too
- Do not call call me after 10 PM MST (10:30 am IST) or on weekends 🙂
- There will always be exceptions
- There will always be exceptions to the above rules. Let’s keep them as exceptions and prevent them from becoming rules.